Become a Referee
How would you like the best seat in the house and be closest to the action?
Why become a referee?
- A great way to keep fit.
- Love the game and no longer play.
- A casual job where you get paid twice a month (more frequently than some other employers) and is tax free once a Statement by Supplier is completed.
- Love the game and still want to play (we encourage current players of all ages to become referees).
- Become part of the ongoing solution!
ESFA is always looking for more referees to cover our ever expanding competitions!
How do you become a referee?
By completing a Level 4 Referee course you are eligible to register as a referee with ESFA.
In 2021 there are three steps to complete the Level 4 Referee course.
Step 1 – Apply to undertake the course
You need to:
- be turning 14 years of age or older in 2021.
- complete FFA’s free online Laws of the Game module and upload the completion certificate.
- complete Sport Australia’s free online Community Officiating General Principle module and upload the completion certificate.
To apply to undertake the course complete the online form by clicking here.
To undertake FFA’s Laws of the Game module click here.
To undertake Sport Australia’s free online Community Officiating General Principle module click here.
Step 2 – Register with ESFA as a referee and undertake the practical session
Once you have completed Step 1 and Step 2 we will provide you with details about registering with ESFA as a referee and completing the practical component of the course.
You must be able to attend one of the following practical session:
- Sunday 7th March between 3pm and 5pm
Please note that no other practical sessions to complete the Level 4 Referee qualification will be held prior to the start of the 2021 season. At your practical session you will be provided with your referee uniform, whistle, flags, notebook and cards.
Step 3 – As we have moved into the season, please check Play Football for any current Level 4 courses or contact email@example.com (practical sessions will be run post course sitting).
Contact your Club for the Club Referee Program if wishing to assist in the later stages of 2021
Once you have completed Step 1 and your application has been confirmed we will provide you with details about completing the online component of the course.
* This cost includes online level 4 course, undertaking the practical session, provided with your uniform and refereeing equipment (whistle, flags, cards and notebook) and registration fees including those paid to Football Federation Australia and Football NSW.
Step 4 – Time to get onto the field
The number of matches you are appointed to is dependent on your availability and which grounds you can attend. If you restrict where and when you can referee this will impact on the number of matches you can be appointed to.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information if required.